About Me

My photo
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
Analyst, Investor, Student, Animal Lover, Gaming Enthusiast, Saarthi, Hindu Nationalist, Seeker and Chaitanya! I take immense pride as a Bhaaratiya and as a Hindu - I have complete faith that the Sanatani value system can truly guide us towards inner peace which forms the nucleus of all my actions. I like to think of myself as a Thought Provoker and an Inquisitive Traveler committed to my nation’s tryst with destiny - to realize the dreams of Arya Chanakya, Swami Vivekananda, Veer Savarkar, Shivaji Maharaj, APJ Abdul Kalam and many more. My Faith: No cause is lost if there is 1 mad guy left to fight for it! My Motto: God give me courage to change what I can, the strength to accept what I can’t and the wisdom to know the difference! My Principle: Ask not what the nation does for you, ask what you can do for your nation! My Driving Force: Karen Raven's quote, "Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only much as I dream can I be" My Goal: To make myself a better person today, than what I was yesterday!

Sunday 25 July 2010

Right we are, Duty we must!

One can never get the true hang on certain aspects of Life unless these aspects are seen up close. Not that I had never noticed the jam packed public transport, it is just that I keep forgetting the ever expanding population of this nation!
It is a great resource though very tough to manage and organize. The point worth sharing is an incidence which occurred during my recent bus travel across Pune city. I was carrying 2 loaded bags waiting for the bus near my college to visit a relative’s place. I somehow managed to struggle into the overcrowded bus inviting curses along the way as my bag hit a fellow passenger for no fault of mine for which I felt sorry!
I acquired a seat after some tussle and immediately within 2 minutes a thin formals clad teenage girl (probably a management student) tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to get up.
Well, before I could answer a resounding no the reality won over my frustration and I craned back to read the sign on the back of my seat – “Reserved for Women”. Oh Damn! Not again! This was the 3rd time it had happened and as I prepared to get up I just could not believe that approximately 30% seats in the bus are reserved for females (There are certain disadvantages of being a male and this was one of it, no complaints though!). With a mental Jai Government! I got up and let her sit on the seat I had acquired with so difficulty. Well, it was her right and I could not crib about it. Next moment, my irritation vanished as the girl turned back and after 2/3 repeated attempts to catch the attention of the TC she finally succeeded and then handed over a 20 rupee note to the TC 5 seats away asking for a ticket to Nigdi. She seemed to be a regular commuter as she explained to her friend that her pass had expired and she didn’t find the time to renew it.

It is one thing to claim one’s right (the fact she asked me to get up!) and much more important it is to know one’s duties. I have heard many citizens harp about their rights as the people of India but not all of them are aware that they are indebted to this nation and have a few duties to carry out themselves. I admire the girl for paying the ticket voluntarily. On one hand we have such citizens and on the other, hoards of people who do all that can be possibly done to evade the TC and save the bus fare. If these minds could have thought of augmenting the nation rather than implementing such evasion tactics we certainly would have been 10 times better as far as the current governance and national development goes!

The fact here is that the girl, the part of the common crowd and not among those great men or celebrities displayed such a simple act which demonstrated her understanding of a national duty. She asked for her right and delivered on her duty. It goes to show that such small things make a lot of difference. It is not the case where we are the only ones to fight and abide by the laws. Many people unknown to us do it as well. It acts as a big boost to witness such acts right in front of your eyes as they impart certain inspiration and instill confidence and faith into the fight for life!
It was my turn to tap her and I appreciated her act and she broke into a smile. It suddenly catches you on. Great acts like these spread like wildfire or rather the goodness in it does! It was too simple but carried a lot of faith in it.
Had I not sat at the place and been asked to get up I might never have witnessed this happening and been bolstered by the same. On both counts it was bold of the girl to act in the way she did.

I wish to highlight the fact that one does not need to be someone great or famous to effect a change. It can be done by anyone with enough will power and faith. Efforts depend on the self and no excuse is acceptable if one refuses to try, that is pure selfishness and cowardice. As my mind lapsed into the thought regarding my latest lesson she booted her laptop and started working on some kind of presentation. Speaking of laptops, I read a fascinating news report today.

An initiative by the education department today yielded a marvelous new toy to the students of this nation!
An IIT, IISc and VIT(Vellore) project today has given the nation a laptop worth just $35! It is like the apple I-pad with basic features. It is a touch screen device complete with Internet and Video conferencing backed with a secondary source of operation of solar power!!
Some IT industries were approached earlier to execute this project to create a low price device which can be extended to the poor class of students exposing them to the world through this device and thus contributing in their growth and in turn the growth of the nation itself!
The fact that the IT industries refused to undertake the project adds to the magnitude of success of this achievement! Few of the nearest objects to this laptop on a price comparison have been a $100 prototype by a European Firm and an Apple designed model costing $300. This puts the Home designed marvel in greater perspective and I hail those who in any way possible have contributed to the project. With a backdrop of this laptop the makers are now exploring the chance of creating a $10 model! There are clearly no limitations if one wishes to dream big!

There is though a touch of disappointment that this news report was sighted by me in the Pakistani Daily Dawn! Any article in the Dawn regarding Bhaarat does not end without a snide remark expressing derision and so was the case with this. It ended with the following line –
India, whose 63 per cent literacy rate lags far behind many other developing nations, such as China with 94 per cent, is making efforts to improve its troubled education system, which lacks investment in schools and teachers”

I agree with my heart and soul about the truth of this statement but it would be prudent for a country not to comment on the plight of another especially when they can’t even buy themselves their basic needs without begging for money from the US, China and the IMF!
The report should act as a stimulant for all of us to improve the troubled system and shut up the mouths of those who belittle us and more importantly lend a hand in the growth of the nation.

Jai Hind!

No comments: