About Me

My photo
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
Analyst, Investor, Student, Animal Lover, Gaming Enthusiast, Saarthi, Hindu Nationalist, Seeker and Chaitanya! I take immense pride as a Bhaaratiya and as a Hindu - I have complete faith that the Sanatani value system can truly guide us towards inner peace which forms the nucleus of all my actions. I like to think of myself as a Thought Provoker and an Inquisitive Traveler committed to my nation’s tryst with destiny - to realize the dreams of Arya Chanakya, Swami Vivekananda, Veer Savarkar, Shivaji Maharaj, APJ Abdul Kalam and many more. My Faith: No cause is lost if there is 1 mad guy left to fight for it! My Motto: God give me courage to change what I can, the strength to accept what I can’t and the wisdom to know the difference! My Principle: Ask not what the nation does for you, ask what you can do for your nation! My Driving Force: Karen Raven's quote, "Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only much as I dream can I be" My Goal: To make myself a better person today, than what I was yesterday!

Saturday 23 October 2010

Corrupting Corruption....

Corruption has many definitions. We in this nation believe it to be an act of accepting bribes only or rather anything to do with illicit money. It is a very limited view we are observing here. A recent article by Mr. M.V. Kamath titled “India : A Nation under siege” speaks at length on corruption from the perspective of the common man and poses a few interesting questions. The author has cited examples of corruption based on statistics.

It is a good article and there is certain bit which I find the need to explore and present. The article speaks about the CVC (Central Vigilance Committee) study which states that a third of us are utterly corrupt while another 50% are on the borderline, so effectively, nearly 85% of us happen to be enemies of this nation according to the report. I will not deny these statistics as they reflect a similar picture of us if not accurate.

Now, are 85% of us accepting bribes to be classified as corrupt? I don’t think so and hence the definition of corruption must be understood better and on the broader scale.

Just take a few examples –


1.     During our youth years, we are advised by one and all to get a good college, a degree and a high paying job ; then settle down in a big house with 2/3 cars, find a good looking partner and live peacefully earning a lot of money. The advice stays on this level and there is great probability that the vast majority of us follow it.
2.     Most of us love soft drinks. It is a prevalent act of paying the shopkeeper extra Rs. 2/- for the refrigeration load. We do it without a second thought and hop off with the bottle.
3.     We jump traffic signals avoiding the police inspector and be done with it without the slightest of guilt. (Shanipar Chowk in Pune alone records over 15000 cases of signal jumping in a single day!)

The advice in the 1st example, the act of extra payment in the 2nd and the signal jumping in the 3rd are acts of corruption. Have we ever pondered on it?

In the 1st, when is the advice of growing up to be a good, decent, honest and principle oriented individual be heard? A few days back I read an article on “being good” in which the lady stated that people believe that good values and principles are inculcated automatically in an individual as there is an increment in the age. She went on to criticize this belief and stated that good values must be inculcated and need an effort for the same. In the quest for money and success we forget this simple truth of life. Life is about giving. We expect some Superman to come over one day and clean the muck for us! Why are we not advised to be brave and face all challenges of life for the greater good? Why are we not advised to contribute in any way possible and if need be sacrifice thy life for the nation’s growth? Why aren’t we told that our personal success is nothing but a tiny dot on the great canvass of Hindustaan? Why are we advised to stay away from "such matters" ? Why is it said, "May Shivaji be born in this nation" and not "May Shivaji be born in my house!" ? If we refuse to fight, then who will? If we refuse to give to this nation, who will?

In the 2nd example, why do we pay the additional charges when the bottle clearly states of a distinct MRP (maximum retail price). If the retailers have any issues regarding the selling price and their profit margins it is their problem with the soft drink manufacturers and it is pathetic that they pass on that burden onto the consumer and it is even more so pathetic and despicable that we accept this injustice choosing to be cowards rather than fight. I agree that argument does not always lead to a change but it is my personal experience that changes occur over time and demand perseverance. In this very context, I myself have resumed purchasing cold drinks at MRP 4 months ago after nearly a 8 month break over the price issue with most of the shopkeepers I met!

I have cited just 3 examples but there are many more so which at 1st glance and even on greater thought seem to be not associated with corruption but have a great impact and fan corruption through the system. My friends, the tiniest of tiniest acts can be acts of corruption. It is upon us to realize whether they are so or not in particular cases/incidences. We need to remind ourselves that we are a part of the system and when we say the system is at fault and essentially corrupt we are talking about ourselves. When we say it is corrupt it is of prime importance to ask ourself the question - Am I corrupt as well? Paying bribes for selfish motives or self gain is a greater act of corruption than those who receive them. It is we who encourage rogues to loot us just because we don't want "trouble" or "get it done quickly" !!

85% is a great number and warns of a dark future. Small incidences point to corruption and help it to grow. Even by understanding that corruption is way beyond what is perceived by the majority we take a strong step in the right direction. Let us make a pledge to revisit all our acts henceforth and ask ourselves whether in some way or the other they lead to corruption and if they do, decide to stamp out the attitude within us which contributes to it. For the nation to change and the golden era to be back, that 85% needs to come down. The least each one of us can do is to ensure that the self is not part of the 85% and the numbers will take care of itself.

To freedom and to fighting corruption out of every nook and corner not only outside our minds, bodies and souls but most importantly inside us by the sweat of our brows and the strength of our backs and the courage of our hearts....

Jai Hind!



2 comments:

AVK said...

HMM......SURELY TRUE...I AM A BUT LESS CORRUPT WITH THE 1ST EXAMPLE I GUESS....I DO AT TIMES HAVE HAD COLD DRINKS PAYING A RUPEE OR TWO MORE...BUT NOT NOW.....AND I WULD LIKE TO MAKE A MARK OVER THE SIGNAL JUMPING STUFF....I DID DIS SPECIALLY FOR TWO DAYS AT THE FAMOUS TEEN HATH NAKA SIGNAL IN THANE.....I WAITED ALL TIME LONG TO FOR THE WALKING SIGNAL TO GO ON...WEN IT SAID GREEN...I MOVED ON HAPPILY....BUT HALF WAY CROSSED I WAS SURPRISED TO LEARN THAT ONE CAR'S SIGNAL WAS ON AND CAR'S CAN COME IN MY WAY NE TIME....I RUSHED TO CORNER.....ND BEFORE I CULD TAKE NEXT STEP TO SECOND CROSS...THE SIGNAL WAS NEARLY RED...ALSO...A SAD NOTED THING WHILE CYCLING...PEOPLE LOVE ACCELARATING BEFORE TIME DATS A 3 TO 4 SECS. BEFORE ITS GREEN....WICH ULTIMATELY ARE D LAST 2 TO 3 SECS. OF SIGNAL IN ODER LANE AND DIS CAN CAUSE GREAT ACCIDENTS...NO ONE TO STOP DIS...BUT I ALWAYS REFUSE TO PEDDEL MY CYCLE BEFORE TIME,AND ALWAYS I AM GIFTED WITH LOADS OF IMPOLITE WORDS AND HATEFUL LOOKS...DATS WATS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GRADUATE AND A EDUCATE....

Chaitanya Godbole said...

I appreciate you posting your view Annu but the purpose in general is for each of us to ask ourselves the questions and change if required.
About the looks you receive at the signals, buddy...I also get quite a hell lot of them!
But then, that just confirms that I am doing the right thing!
Keep Fighting....
Live Free....