About Me

My photo
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
Analyst, Investor, Student, Animal Lover, Gaming Enthusiast, Saarthi, Hindu Nationalist, Seeker and Chaitanya! I take immense pride as a Bhaaratiya and as a Hindu - I have complete faith that the Sanatani value system can truly guide us towards inner peace which forms the nucleus of all my actions. I like to think of myself as a Thought Provoker and an Inquisitive Traveler committed to my nation’s tryst with destiny - to realize the dreams of Arya Chanakya, Swami Vivekananda, Veer Savarkar, Shivaji Maharaj, APJ Abdul Kalam and many more. My Faith: No cause is lost if there is 1 mad guy left to fight for it! My Motto: God give me courage to change what I can, the strength to accept what I can’t and the wisdom to know the difference! My Principle: Ask not what the nation does for you, ask what you can do for your nation! My Driving Force: Karen Raven's quote, "Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only much as I dream can I be" My Goal: To make myself a better person today, than what I was yesterday!

Friday 25 February 2011

Tightened Screws....

A sharp drop in blog visits signaled the advent of the Exam season !! Less time on the internet (which is unfortunately interpreted as just a source of time-pass) and more time buried in books; drooping shoulders; dark and tired red eyes and an invisible phantom burden pressing on the back. Yes, we are indeed in the age of competition. The full force is felt in a nation like ours where population growth is disproportionate to the supply of quality education and infrastructure. So, instead of asking God for a stronger back to handle challenges we see our HRD ministry place a lighter load and we, the people, directly or indirectly support it by playing along.

I gather that a new concept of a co-coacher is taking roots. Take-up Teachers or Co-coachers are men who visit students one on one while they revise (read vomit) answers one after the other in the run-up to the board exams.
They don't teach, explain or solve; they just hear you out. As per the above report, they are in vogue not just because of the exams but it is so as parents don't have time to spend on their ward's studies. I personally read 2 things into this - One, it sure is dark days and with every passing day, education in India is being throttled by selfish ministers, rogue educational governing bodies and their dirty, damaging policies; may those be of incorporating false and misleading history or shifting the syllabus towards a "mugging-up" culture from foundations of basic concepts or the blatant abuse of power by cancelling examinations till 8th grade. (Oh yes, they are going to set up "alternate" evaluation procedures) Cancelling Exams can never be a solution; modifying them to improve quality and encourage expression of concepts rather than the fixed textbook language would be. Still, that is another big topic of debate and let us see what "evaluation measures" are being incorporated over the days.

The above article mentions a marathon session lasting till 2 am into the night. Exam stress levels up 200% this year was a recent headline in The Education Times; the suicide rates have risen as well. No doubt we might just see zombies walking off to colleges if this continues. In a Management class, the professor lifts a glass full of water of his desk and asks his students, "How much does this glass weigh?" "50 g", "100 g", "125 g" came a few replies. "Unless I weigh it I won't know", said the professor. "My real point is, what would happen if I hold this glass aloft for a few mins?", asked the Prof. "Nothing" came a reply. "An hour?", questioned the Prof. "Your arm would ache.", replied another student. The Prof said, "What if I hold it so for a day?" A voice at the back said, "Your arm will go beyond pain, become numb and you may suffer from severe muscle stress and paralysis." "True. During this entire exercise the weight of the glass remained unchanged; then what caused such grave effects?", questioned the Professor. Seeing his students puzzled, the professor replied, "Stress is just like this. First it is nothing; then it makes your head ache and then eventually paralyzes your thoughts into inaction. To relieve the pain, you just need to PUT THE GLASS DOWN...."

The second point I see worth noting is the absence of the average parent from a child's study regime. Being a son who has always got the support, the time and the inspiration throughout his life I will stress on the most basic requirement of a child or a teen - Parents' Time. I have always been an average performer when it came to exams and never crossed 80% (That must be an abuse now, I am sure!) till my 8th standard; yet, I always enjoyed my study by learning the concepts of Physics and Maths; reading English, knowing History and understanding Geography (Biology was a through and through NO for me!) and always had my parents back me up. I agree that marks and social status are important in life given the current scenario but I strongly object to the idea that an emotional and mental burnout is an acceptable situation just to get the magical numbers. Irrespective of marks, success would come running after excellence as a dog after his beloved master. The win might come a bit late as compared to the "Chaturs" of this world, but a man's emotional integrity is not compromised in the process and that what leads to happiness, true emotional and spiritual balance in life.

Without meaning any disrespect, to all the parents out there, your son/daughter does not want you to fill up your absence from his/her life with TV, toys, flashy electronic gadgets, surplus pocket money and other luxuries or the weekend partying; they are desirable and enjoyed by many but it is the time which is infinitely more precious. More money as the goal in life can never lead to satisfaction, the relations with loved ones and what we do for them - give our love, time and care is what matters the most. As a patriot who deeply loves this beautiful nation, my sincere appeal to all concerned, please don't burn the child's spirit and with it, the future of the nation. With reference to the Want to be a parent : Get a License ! article in Times Crest 2 months back, I will reiterate that parenting is the most difficult job on this planet. I care too much for the country's future to sit back and let things happen. At the moment, I can appeal and request through this blog or other forms of communication but God-willing, things might just go better !! In the same context, we need true people out there fighting this dangerous war against an ever strengthening foe (In any small or big way possible) who vanishes when you get near, chases like the wind when you run or try to hide and attacks covertly when you stay silent and pretend to like him before dealing the fatal blow. In the same vein, to all my fellow youth fighters and patriots; to all those who are yet to re-kindle that small lamp within and to all those who are yet undecided.....
Let us Fly....

Keep Fighting....
Live Free....

Jai Hind!


2 comments:

Rajat Godbole said...

Let us have learned students, than just literate people around...

For India to progress, Thinkers and Visionaries, and not just 'muggers' are required...

The Education System must encourage taking up challenges, rather than crushing students under 'stress'...

Lizi Joseph said...

All this chaos because we still follow Macoley who designed this system of education to prepare Babus for British rulers & systematically destroyed our ancient great system of Gurukul. We must redesign Gurukul in present contest making our own system for our own people. Many such attemts are being made all over need of hour is to highlight them,encourage & adopt them @ National level by discarding current Lousy system.