About Me

My photo
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
Analyst, Investor, Student, Animal Lover, Gaming Enthusiast, Saarthi, Hindu Nationalist, Seeker and Chaitanya! I take immense pride as a Bhaaratiya and as a Hindu - I have complete faith that the Sanatani value system can truly guide us towards inner peace which forms the nucleus of all my actions. I like to think of myself as a Thought Provoker and an Inquisitive Traveler committed to my nation’s tryst with destiny - to realize the dreams of Arya Chanakya, Swami Vivekananda, Veer Savarkar, Shivaji Maharaj, APJ Abdul Kalam and many more. My Faith: No cause is lost if there is 1 mad guy left to fight for it! My Motto: God give me courage to change what I can, the strength to accept what I can’t and the wisdom to know the difference! My Principle: Ask not what the nation does for you, ask what you can do for your nation! My Driving Force: Karen Raven's quote, "Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only much as I dream can I be" My Goal: To make myself a better person today, than what I was yesterday!

Friday 24 September 2010

The Twist of Fate (part I) ....

Finally, I am blessed with the full functionality of my laptop but now there is some heat dissipation problem as I type!! I have found a temporary solution for it by inclining and exposing the whole underside of the laptop to fresh air!

Before I narrate the story I would mention all those who were directly involved and lent me support through all this. This list can go on and on if the indirect help is counted in to the numbering phase but I will keep it short and mention that their contribution has been valuable as well. They are -

Nikhil Bhan and Saurabh Saxena (BE IT); Mahesh Sohoni and Rama Gaikwad (BE Comp); Gauri Kapileshwar, Chaitrali Latkar and Rucha Desai (BE Mech); Anuja Gadgil (BE EnTC); Madhura Barve (TE IT); Omkar Umrani and Mahipal Mahara (TE Mech); Neha More and Sonal Kadam (PVG’s Science College) and Sujay Bhise.

As most of you will know that I live on campus of PVG college in Pune. We share our campus with Muktangan School and Jr. College. The story begins with the unfortunate attack on Friday, the 17th of September on a 8 yr old girl named Kunjal by a few stray dogs.
According to what I have learned, Kunjal had arrived for school early at 7 am as always. The entry to the school premises starts at 7.15 am everyday. With some time to go for the school to begin, Kunjal along with few of her friends strolled onto the adjacent playground. At the far side of the playground there is a weak fencing with gaping holes in it. This fencing we share with the adjacent slum area. That day, few stray dogs entered the grounds early as Kunjal and her friends strolled by. Alarmed by the presence of these dogs, a few kids who were playing nearby started throwing stones at the gang of dogs. In retaliation the dogs charged at the nearby students. As luck would have it, the kids who had thrown the stones got away as they had time to turn tail. Our dear friend Kunjal was caught unaware and she fell down on her back and the bunch of dogs descended down onto their supposed tormentor not realizing that they had got the wrong person. What followed was a painful experience for Kunjal as she was attacked by 4 dogs. 2 of them got hold of her legs while the others caught her by her hair. In such a painful and torturous condition, Kunjal went on to suffer heavy injuries culminating in a 3 day stay at the Hospital including spending time in the Intensive Care Unit as well. 35 stitches and those horrific anti-rabies pricks on the wounds during this stay! Gosh! That is a lot of pain I will say!

I remember when I had cut myself and had to go through the needle for 4 stitches (My 4 are no where comparable when I speak of the 35 Kunjal has taken on!) and I recollect the pain then. I could not sleep well the same night due to the pain. If the pain of 4 stitches hampered my sleep, it is really valiant of this girl to face the pain 9 times as much and at an age less than half of mine it is really some special effort and I admire the grit she has displayed.
While all this was happening, we were safely in our homes thanks to the Engineering weekend which comprises not just of the days Saturday and Sunday but also entire Friday and for some Thursday evening as well!!
Me and my friends learnt about the entire episode on Monday, the 20th of September, because of another tale which runs parallel at times and entwines with that of Kunjal during the remaining stretches. I will explain that in The Twist of Fate part II. We found out about the location of the hospital where Kunjal was admitted by evening after running around all day regarding the same matter. We, i.e. me and 5 of my friends planned for an express visit to meet Kunjal and give her our best wishes at around 9.30 pm. So, we left for Dinanath Mangeshkar Hospital, Erandwane at 9.30 pm only to find out after reaching there that Kunjal had been discharged. For the first time in the day I felt happy about something. We were glad to know that Kunjal was safe and recovering. We called up her father and requested an immediate appointment which he accepted. We reached her house by 10.30 pm and met her mother who welcomed us warmly and narrated the entire incident. She went on to explain the traumatic experience and the turmoil their family has been through over these past few days.

I have kept the details as concise as possible as I wanted to highlight not them but the attitude behind this entire episode. I wanted to cast light on the extreme courage demonstrated by Kunjal as she went through this painful experience. Firstly, it makes me wonder what this girl is made up of ? She withstands such an attack with great tolerance I would say. Just like the The 12 year old patriot about whom I have mentioned earlier at Livin’ Free, she somewhere has shown the will to fight. It was not her mistake that the stone throwing took place. It was not her mistake that the dogs chose to attack her and yet she was the one who was put through all the pain and anguish. She still chose to fight back against fate and she rose high. She came home having conquered pain and having beaten it to pulp! Many times in life we have been put through situations which we have not been responsible for. Many a times, we wilt away into the shadows and crib about how our life has been unfair and how only others get the best of everything. We forget that we too are others for someone else! Fate is a culmination of out past lives but the present is something we have and it is here we make our choices. Kunjal could have cried and been bogged down and be mentally scarred for ever but the girl we saw that day nowhere showed these symptoms. She smiled as we entered and accepted the chocolates I offered her with happiness. Surely, she was not her full strength physically as it will take time to heal but mentally she was back on track. I was told that tears and Kunjal were associated with each other only during the incident. Girls are termed weak. Biology has made them physically weaker while social conditioning has made them so emotionally as compared to the males but this was some sort of an exception. The girl before me was neither physically weak nor emotionally so. She personifies endurance and shows us the importance of a true spirit! A small package with a lot of punch I will say!!

So a gritty 3rd Std Girl went on to teach me a lot. In her I saw that courage to fight against odds. Fate has injured her physically but her spirit has shown fate the door at an emotional and psychological plane. It carries deep rooted meanings as to what we all can learn from this incident. It certainly tells us that age is no bar if there is the desire to fight against pain and injustice. I salute this strength of the little girl and not to forget her parents because of whom she is this strong. I salute Kunjal for what she is and I salute those parents who have inculcated in her that will to fight!
By making me a part of this story and having set up a meeting with the girl and her mother, Destiny has strengthened my resolve for a better future for all of us. May the almighty bestow us with the kind of strength that Kunjal has!

Part I ends here with the episode viewed in the perspective of the little girl Kunjal. In Part II, I will continue this tale with another angle which has more twists and sheds light on how cruel fate can get at times. Part II has taken me to places which can be emotionally painful to be in but they have the same kind of wisdom to offer and lessons to teach.
Till then....

Jai Hind!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice one.....both part 1 and 2...

Anuja Gadgil said...

Juss too good...!!! Wow... i didnt know this story!! Thnx Chaitanya for sharing this with us..!